Our bodies are wonderful and intricate machines. Because of their complexity we must take care of them just as you would your vehicle but only better. Of course we all know that a proper diet and exercise will keep your body in tip-top shape but what many will neglect is sleep. Yes, sleep is an important component to keeping your body and mind refreshed. If you feel sluggish in the morning with lack of energy to face a new day, chances are you are not getting enough sleep. Below I will share 10 ways to a peaceful night’s sleep:
1. It is important to remove all distractions from your bedroom. Your bedroom should be a place for sleep and nothing more. Although many will have televisions and at times an office in the corner, these are distractions that will interrupt a good night’s sleep.
2. Limit exercise and other stressful activities before your bedtime. If you need to exercise it is best to do at least 4-5 hours before your regular bedtime.
3. Organize your life so you can get to bed at a consistent time each night. It may be easier said then done but with some effort you can organize your activities in order to get into a routine each night.
5. Similar to organizing your life, be sure to get a certain amount of sleep each night. Many claim to be able function on 4 to 5 hours of sleep but will find themselves dragging near the end of the day. Ideal amount of hours is 6 to 9 hours because it marks the completion of a sleep cycle.
7. If you need to fall asleep to TV or music playing, program a sleep timer so they’ll go off at a certain time. This will help you stay asleep and conserve energy.
8. Minimize or eliminate medication use for pain/sleep/depression if possible, with doctor’s advice.
9. Limit your coffee or soft drink intake. The caffeine found in such drinks will interfere with a good night’s sleep pattern.
10. Develop a nightly routine to train your body and mind into falling asleep. The routine can be simply shutting down all the lights in the house, or reading. Anything that will train your body because it is done the same each day your body will prepare for bedtime easier.
Apply some of the above tips and find yourself enjoying, truly enjoying a peaceful night’s sleep.